Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Status of my current projects

Right now I'm working on two projects. The first project is inspired by the famous Chinese "Yin-Yang" symbol and Chinese ancient chessgame "Go". I made one white and one black baby size shoes by using the real ceramic chessmen of Go. The chess board is made from some crossed shoelaces fastened on a rectangular wooden board. The shadow of the chess board is projected from the top of the shoes so that they can "walk" freely through those boundaries. Another idea I am thinking about the board is to place shoes on a circular wooden board where I will connect some dashed shoelaces to make a classic Yin-Yang fish pattern. This pattern can be understood as either an endless motion or an elapsing time or both.



Another project I am working in the foundry is a pushed pillow made of human hair. The wax mold of the pillow is done today. I will attempt to use the regular hair gel to keep a fixed contour of the hair as designed. I enjoy trying different materials and seeking to understand their interesting representations of common items we are using everyday.

2 comments:

Xiaoqing said...

the shape of this pillow looks awesome!

A Wu said...

I like the shadow projection of the chessboard with the shoes--I think it might work better than using the actual board with the shoelaces...

and yeah, your mesh pillow was very cool!